Map Reading Guide
Learn to read maps with The Map Reading Guide, an ideal resource for a wide range of map users and an excellent and simple introduction to topographic maps. This guide is suitable for anyone with an interest in maps and comes with a free roamer!
- topographic map explanations
- Steps on how to read topographic maps, including explanations of map scale and how to use a map scale to calculate distance
- The differences between grid north, true north and magnetic north
- An explanation of projections and symbols used on topographic maps
- How hills and mountains are shown on maps using relief shading, hypsometric tinting, and contours
- What a datum is and why there are different datum
- Explanations of the difference between geographic and grid coordinates
- How to quote grid references from topographic maps
- How to plan a successful trip using topographic maps
- Using Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receivers and magnetic compasses with topographic maps
- Using a topographic map to find your current position and to set a course.
- This product is the guide/map roamer card combination.